Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Gods


The gods are real. But let's not miss the fact that the meaning of the word 'real' is a slippery fish to catch. In my view there is more than one kind of real. The bedpost you stub your toe on in the wee hours of the am is real in the make you jump up and down on one foot while spewing every curse you know kind of way. Then there is the 'real' you feel while sitting in church or temple, communing with your deity. There is also the real of your emotions; love, hate, gratitude. Then there is the 'real' of a concept like patriotism or civil rights that moves you to action in the real world. You could make a case for the gods being real in ALL these ways. Never stubbed your toe on a god you say? Fair enough, but you never stumbled over a microwave or bumped into a cell phone signal either. The nature of gods is to be immaterial and undetectable (by current technology anyhow.) What can I say? To my mind if something has affects in the real world and on real people, then that thing is REAL.

Personally, I give special homage to several incorporeal beings: The great god Pan. The goddess Inanna is someone with whom I have some sort of attachment that never made logical sense to me but... it is what it is, as they say. Chango shares the same room with Inanna in my affections. There are others such as Merlin and "Luc" who are very special spirit beings and never far from me. Finally, last but not least, there is Eru Iluvatar, Ealanen, Ealadar, Ealanar and Ealavista (the "ALL father," and the spirits of water, earth, fire and air.) I do not worship so much as honor and respect them.

I encourage anyone who feels a pull or attraction toward any of the gods of olde to embrace and partner with them.

Care to share your thoughts or questions? Feel free.

No comments:

Post a Comment